I have a big vein on the back of my testicles. I’ve read that I should see my health care provider, but I’ve had it since I was about 13 with no pain at all. What do I do? Do I need to see a doctor?

Front portrait of a young man doubting shrugging shoulders isolated on a white background

It sounds like you may have a “varicocele,” which is a swollen vein in the scrotal sack. Varicoceles only affect guys and they are often more common during puberty. Because varicoceles are usually painless, many guys don’t even realize that they have one until they see their health care provider for their yearly check-up.  It’s ALWAYS best to be checked by your health care provider to find out for sure. Your HCP will be able to tell if you do in fact have a varicocele, or if it’s something more serious.

Most small varicoceles don’t cause any problems. However, there’s a small chance that a varicocele may either affect the testicle or future fertility (being able to get a woman pregnant). If your HCP thinks your varicocele might cause a problem, he or she will talk to you about treatment options. In the meantime, try not to stress about it as most of the time having a varicocele doesn’t cause any problems.