I have two blisters in my genital area. What would be the reason for that? Should I consult with a doctor?

embarrassed-male-teenSince there are many possible causes of blisters in and around the genital area, you should make an appointment with your health care provider. Your health care provider (HCP) will likely ask you if you are sexually active. It’s important to tell your HCP if you have noticed anything else, such as itchiness, fluid from the blister, and if you’ve had any type of recent injury to your genital area.

While some blisters are due to “contact dermatitis” (an allergic reaction to something the skin has come in contact with such as a new soap, lotion, clothing or even poison ivy), blisters may also be a symptom of a sexually transmitted infection (STI).

Your health care provider will likely be able to tell what the blister is caused from and give you medicine that will help with any symptoms or discomfort.