Thanks for your question. Many people have questions about their testicles. It is very common for one testicle to hang lower than the other or to be more horizontal (parallel to the floor) than the other. Think of it like your hands, often one may be slightly bigger and have a slightly different shape than the other.
Whenever you notice a lump by your testicle it’s always a good idea to see your health care provider. Testicular lumps can be caused by many things including:
- skin irritation (from shaving or removing pubic hair)
- cysts (small sac of fluid)
- hydrocele (collection of fluid around the testicle)
- injury (from being hit in the area)
- sexually transmitted infections causing inflammation
- testicular cancer (this is rare)
- varicoceles (swelling of the veins in the scrotum)
If you are having pain in your testicle it’s important to see your health care provider right away as this may be a sign of a medical emergency.