Thanks for your question. There are lots of things that can cause pain by your genitals. For those with a penis and testicles some of the more common things are:
- Injury. If you got hit there or may have some skin irritation.
- Varicocele. This is a dilated blood vessel that can cause a dull pain.
- Testicular torsion. This is when the spermatic cord twists and cuts off blood flow to a testicle. This usually causes a lot of pain and is an EMERGENCY. (add link to testicular torsion)
- Infection. Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) can cause pain in your penis and scrotum.
- Hernia. A hernia is a weakness in the abdominal wall that lets some of the abdominal contents extend into your scrotum.
Any time you are having pain by your genitals it’s a good idea to schedule an appointment with your health care provider.
Here’s a tip on how to bring it up with your health care provider: “I have some pain by my genitals, could I make an appointment to get this checked out?”