I get a really painful burning sensation throughout my whole penis when I ejaculate. What might be causing this?

It is common for guys to have mild irritation of their urethra, called “urethritis” (where pee leaves the body) from time to time which may be caused from frequent masturbation, sexual activity and/or an infection. However, anytime you have symptoms that don’t go away, you should talk to your health care provider (HCP). Your HCP will likely ask you questions such as: Are you sexually active? Do you use condoms every time you have sex? Do you have an allergy to latex or other allergies to certain soaps, etc.? Do you have a discharge coming from your penis? Do you have a fever?

To help determine the cause of the burning sensation when you ejaculate, your HCP may ask you to pee into a cup to check for bacteria in your urine. Tell your HCP if you are sexually active as he/she will also want to rule out the possibility of a sexually transmitted infection (STI). It’s important to see your health care provider before your symptoms get worse. Only then can your HCP decide what type of treatment is best for you. Almost all of the time, early treatment can cure the problem.