I had sex for the first time recently and I think I’ve got an STI. Besides my regular doctor or hospital, who else could I go see? A friend said the county health unit. Could I go without one of my parents? I’m not ready to confess to them yet.

Thanks for your question. Some people find it easier to go see a different health care provider to deal with concerns related to sex, such as a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Here’s a website to find STI testing near you: https://gettested.cdc.gov/. You can also ask your health care provider’s office if they have any recommendations for confidential STI testing.

It is important to know that while in the United States sexual health care is considered confidential, the age cut off can vary by state. The laws also vary internationally. Make sure to ask about whether your insurance will be charged or if it can be kept confidential.

Before scheduling an appointment, we recommend asking: “I’m 15 years old, will this visit be confidential?”