Where can I get tested for STIs besides family doctor? Our doc and my dad are best friends so he is out of the question as my parents don’t know I’m even sexually active. Is there a home test where I can do it myself? I’ve got bumps I’m worried about.

Thanks for your question. When it comes to sexual health a lot of people worry about confidentiality and comfort with their health care provider. If you are having sex, it’s always a good idea to get checked for sexually transmitted infections (STI’s), especially if you have any symptoms such as bumps. Here are a few places other than your health care provider where you can get tested:

  • School health center (some schools have health centers/clinic where you can get tested)
  • A local sexual health clinic (such as an STI clinic, this can include places such as Planned Parenthood)
  • A local urgent care

If you live in the United States, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has a website to help you find testing sites in your area. Here’s the link: gettested.cdc.gov